Hamas Attack: Antony Blinken says US working to verify reports of several Americans dead and missing in Israel
US Secretary of State Antony Blinken says his country is trying to verify reports of missing and dead Americans overseas after Hamas attacked Israel, triggering a crisis in the region.
“We have reports that several Americans were killed. We’re working overtime to verify that. At the same time, there are reports of missing Americans and there again, we’re working to verify those reports,” Blinken told CNN’s Dana Bash on “State of the Union.”
He said an additional aid to Israel in response to the attack could be announced soon.
“We’re looking at specific additional requests that the Israelis have made – I think you’re likely to hear more about that later today,” Blinken told CNN.
The top US diplomat added that President Joe Biden’s direction was to “make sure that we’re providing Israel everything it needs at this moment to deal with the attacks from Hamas.”
The Israeli government has confirmed that at least 100 of its citizens are currently held captive in Gaza.
Israel’s Government Press Office confirmed the development by sharing an infographic on Facebook where it said “100+ kidnapped, 2,000+ injured, 600+ murdered.”
Until now Israel has refused to confirm the number of civilians or soldiers being held hostage, reported The Times of Israel.
Meanwhile, the death toll due to the attack conducted by Hamas on the Israeli border community has touched 600, media reports said.
A spokesperson for ZAKA, a volunteer group that handles dead bodies and human remains after terror attacks, tells Hebrew media as quoted by The Times of Israel that more than 600 Israelis have been killed so far.
The Israeli government formally declared war on Hamas on Sunday, a day after the deadly attack was carried out by the group.
Israeli jets carried out “intense” airstrikes on targets in Gaza Sunday afternoon, shortly after Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office announced that the security cabinet had voted Saturday evening to put the country officially at war, meaning it can carry out “significant military activities", The Times of Israel reported.
On Saturday, the Palestinian Islamic Resistance Movement (Hamas), which controls Gaza, showered Israel with thousands of rockets in a rare surprise attack.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married his partner Jodie Haydon on Saturday, becoming the first sitting leader in the country to wed while in office.

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.
Latest News

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

Suspected child lifter from Bihar severely assaulted by mob in Teliamura

