Hamas demands release of 3,000 Palestinian prisoners held by Israel
Gaza: Hamas has demanded the release of 3,000 Palestinian prisoners held by Israel during the indirect talks on a fresh pause to fighting in the Gaza Strip, Al Arabiya news channel reported on Saturday, citing sources familiar with the talks.
Hamas wants the three-stage truce to include the release of Palestinian prisoners as a fourth stage, the sources told the broadcaster.
Qatari Foreign Ministry spokesman Majed Al-Ansari said on Friday that Israel had given a positive initial response to the newest truce proposal that would start with a six-week halt to fighting and include the release of dozens of hostages held by Hamas.
The truce proposal was agreed to in Paris in late January by Israel, the United States, Egypt and Qatar.
Hamas said it had received a draft and was reviewing it. Israeli media reported that the Mossad intelligence agency wanted the first stage of the plan to see 35 hostages released in exchange for a 35-day pause from fighting.
On October 7, 2023, Hamas launched a surprise large-scale rocket attack against Israel from Gaza and breached the border, killing 1,200 people and abducting around 240 others.
Israel launched retaliatory strikes, ordered a complete blockade of Gaza, and started a ground incursion into the Palestinian enclave with the declared goal of eliminating Hamas terrorists and rescuing the hostages. Over 27,000 people have been killed so far in the Gaza Strip, local authorities said.
On November 24, Qatar mediated a deal between Israel and Hamas on a temporary truce and the exchange of some of the prisoners and hostages, as well as the delivery of humanitarian aid into the Gaza Strip.
The ceasefire was extended several times and expired on December 1. More than 100 hostages are still believed to be held by Hamas in Gaza.
( With UNI/Sputnik inputs)
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.

Gunfire near White House: Two National Guard soldiers shot as Afghan national suspect arrested
Two National Guard soldiers were critically injured on Wednesday after they were shot by a gunman, identified as an Afghan national, less than two blocks from the White House, authorities said.

Horror in Hong Kong: Death toll hits 44 as massive blaze continues, hundreds missing
The death toll from a massive fire that swept through residential apartments in Hong Kong’s Tai Po district has climbed to 44, with around 270 people still unaccounted for, authorities said on Thursday.
Latest News

Tripura aims to become national tourism hub; 4th 'Unity Promo Fest 2025' opens

Delhi air pollution worsenses, AQI deteriorates to 384; several NCR pockets in 'severe' category

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock

