Health Canada has approved Pfizer’s RSV vaccine for older adults, pregnant women
Toronto/IBNS: Health Canada has approved another respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) vaccine for adults over the age of 60 and pregnant women last week by Health Canada.
According to Health Canada, Pfizer’s bivalent RSV vaccine, Abrysvo, has been authorized for the prevention of lower respiratory tract disease caused by RSV for the use of both pregnant individuals from 32 through 36 weeks gestational age as well as in infants from birth through six months of age.
“Vaccines are considered to be the most effective tool in public health for preventing illness and can help reduce the stress on our healthcare system and professionals including nurses, doctors, and others on the frontline,” Dr. Darine El-Chaâr, maternal-fetal medicine physician at The Ottawa Hospital, was reported saying in a press release.
“Vaccines administered through maternal immunization can also help play a critical role in decreasing the gap of vulnerability in the first few months of an infant’s life, as well as helping to protect their mothers, who may be at increased risk of severe disease compared with non-pregnant women.”
RSV infection is a major cause of lower respiratory illness, particularly among infants, young children and older adults. RSV season in Canada usually starts in the late fall and lasts until spring.
This is the second RSV vaccine approved by Health Canada. The first one, Arexvy by GSK, was approved on Aug. 4, 2023, but is only for adults aged 60 years and up.
(Reporting by Asha Bajaj)
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.

Gunfire near White House: Two National Guard soldiers shot as Afghan national suspect arrested
Two National Guard soldiers were critically injured on Wednesday after they were shot by a gunman, identified as an Afghan national, less than two blocks from the White House, authorities said.

Horror in Hong Kong: Death toll hits 44 as massive blaze continues, hundreds missing
The death toll from a massive fire that swept through residential apartments in Hong Kong’s Tai Po district has climbed to 44, with around 270 people still unaccounted for, authorities said on Thursday.
Latest News

Tripura aims to become national tourism hub; 4th 'Unity Promo Fest 2025' opens

Delhi air pollution worsenses, AQI deteriorates to 384; several NCR pockets in 'severe' category

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock

