IDF to push Hezbollah from border due to inaction by Lebanon and neighbors
Jerusalem: The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) will push the Lebanese Shia movement Hezbollah away from the northern border if Lebanon's authorities and other countries fail to do so, Israel's National Unity Party head and war cabinet member, Benny Gantz, said on Wednesday.
The IDF Chief of the General Staff, Lt. Gen. Herzi Halevi, on Dec 27, said that the Israeli military was on high alert on the border with Lebanon and should be ready to strike.
"The situation in the north must change. The stopwatch for a diplomatic solution is running out. If the world and the Lebanese government won't stop the shooting towards the northern communities from Lebanon and won't act to remove Hezbollah from the border, the IDF will," Israeli newspaper Haaretz quoted Gantz as saying.
Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Gallant did not rule out agreements that would ensure the return of residents of northern Gaza to their homes on Monday.
On Tuesday, Israeli media reported about a kamikaze drone attack in the Upper Galilee in northern Israel, near the border with Lebanon, which resulted in the death of a soldier.
An Israeli citizen also received injuries in the kibbutz of Adamit as a result of a projectile launch from Lebanon.
The IDF said nine servicemen were wounded after the Moshav of Shomera was shelled by an anti-tank missile while the troops were attempting to evacuate a victim of the previous strike.
The tensions have been mounting on the Israeli-Lebanese border since the onset of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict escalation on October 7, with intermittent exchanges of fire and a looming threat of a two-front war for Israel persisting to date.
On October 7, the Palestinian movement Hamas launched a large-scale rocket attack against Israel from the Gaza Strip while its fighters breached the border, opening fire on the military and civilians.
As a result, over 1,200 people in Israel were killed and some 240 others were abducted. Israel launched retaliatory strikes, ordered a complete blockade of Gaza and launched a ground incursion into the Palestinian enclave with the declared goal of eliminating Hamas fighters and rescuing the hostages.
Over 21,100 people have been killed so far in Gaza as a result of Israeli strikes, local authorities said.
On November 24, Qatar mediated a deal between Israel and Hamas on a temporary truce and the exchange of some of the prisoners and hostages, as well as the delivery of humanitarian aid into the Gaza Strip. The ceasefire was extended several times and expired on December 1.
(With UNI/Sputnik inputs)
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.

Gunfire near White House: Two National Guard soldiers shot as Afghan national suspect arrested
Two National Guard soldiers were critically injured on Wednesday after they were shot by a gunman, identified as an Afghan national, less than two blocks from the White House, authorities said.

Horror in Hong Kong: Death toll hits 44 as massive blaze continues, hundreds missing
The death toll from a massive fire that swept through residential apartments in Hong Kong’s Tai Po district has climbed to 44, with around 270 people still unaccounted for, authorities said on Thursday.
Latest News

Tripura aims to become national tourism hub; 4th 'Unity Promo Fest 2025' opens

Delhi air pollution worsenses, AQI deteriorates to 384; several NCR pockets in 'severe' category

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock

