Indonesia's Mount Marpi volcano erupts claiming lives of eleven hikers
Following its eruption over the weekend, bodies of eleven hikers have been found near the crater of Indonesia's Mount Marapi volcano, reports BBC.
Twelve others are missing, and the search was suspended on Monday leading to another smaller eruption, reports BBC.
During the main eruption on Sunday, there were 75 hikers in the area; however, the majority were safely evacuated.
Marapi erupted a 3km (9,800ft) ash cloud into the air, darkening the sky and covering the nearby villages in ash.
Three people were rescued near the crater on Monday before the search was suspended.
They were "weak and had some burns," Abdul Malik, head of the Padang Search and Rescue Agency, told the BBC.
The identities of the hikers were not immediately released by authorities, but footage from Sunday's eruption showed a massive cloud of volcanic ash spreading widely across the sky and cars and roads covered in ash.
Rescue workers took turns carrying the injured and dead down the difficult terrain of the mountain and onto waiting ambulances with sirens blaring.
Forty-nine climbers were evacuated from the area earlier in the day, many of whom also suffered burns.
"Some suffered from burns because it was very hot, and they have been taken to the hospital," Rudy Rinaldi, head of the West Sumatra Disaster Mitigation Agency, told the BBC.
Mount Marapi is one of the 127 most active volcanoes in Indonesia and is also well-liked by hikers; some trails were only reopened in June of last year because of ash eruptions that occurred in January and February.
The most deadly eruption of Marapi took place in 1979, with 60 people dying.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.

Gunfire near White House: Two National Guard soldiers shot as Afghan national suspect arrested
Two National Guard soldiers were critically injured on Wednesday after they were shot by a gunman, identified as an Afghan national, less than two blocks from the White House, authorities said.
Latest News

Cooperative Minister inaugurates Longtharai’s Jolaibari retailers meet

Saving the Gentle Giant: How India’s Fishers Are Leading a Whale Shark Revival

Cyclone Ditwah affects Tamil Nadu: Flights cancelled, schools shut

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka

