International Court of Justice to deliver ruling on Israel Genocide case tomorrow
Amsterdam: The International Court of Justice (ICJ) will decide whether to issue an order for Israel to impose emergency measures in response to South Africa's claims that the Israeli military operation in Gaza is a state-sponsored genocide.
The ICJ, also known as the World Court, issued a statement on Wednesday saying that the 17-judge panel will render a decision on January 26 at 1200 GMT, according to a Reuters report.
South Africa asked the ICJ to order an emergency suspension of Israel's devastating military campaign in the Palestinian enclave during two days of hearings earlier this month.
Claiming that it was targeting Hamas militants rather than Palestinian civilians, Israel denied the genocide accusations, calling them "grossly distorted" and asserting its right to self-defense.
The central issue of whether Israel is committing genocide will not be addressed by the ICJ in its decision on Friday, the report stated.
As a sort of restraining order to keep a dispute from getting worse, the court will only consider potential emergency measures while considering the entire case, which typically takes years.
In the event that the ICJ decides to order emergency measures, it is not required to grant South Africa's requests in full.
The court cannot enforce its decisions, but they are legally enforceable and unappealed.
Background
South Africa filed a case against Israel at the International Court of Justice on December 29, 2023, claiming that Israel had committed genocide in Gaza during the 2023 war.
In its request for temporary measures, South Africa asked the International Court of Justice to order Israel to stop its military campaign in Gaza.
The Israeli government condemned South Africa's actions as "disgraceful" and charged it with aiding "the modern heirs of the Nazis" in addition to agreeing to defend itself at the ICJ proceedings.
Israel and the United States have rejected the assertion that Israel is engaging in genocide.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.

Gunfire near White House: Two National Guard soldiers shot as Afghan national suspect arrested
Two National Guard soldiers were critically injured on Wednesday after they were shot by a gunman, identified as an Afghan national, less than two blocks from the White House, authorities said.

Horror in Hong Kong: Death toll hits 44 as massive blaze continues, hundreds missing
The death toll from a massive fire that swept through residential apartments in Hong Kong’s Tai Po district has climbed to 44, with around 270 people still unaccounted for, authorities said on Thursday.
Latest News

Tripura aims to become national tourism hub; 4th 'Unity Promo Fest 2025' opens

Delhi air pollution worsenses, AQI deteriorates to 384; several NCR pockets in 'severe' category

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock

