Iran condemns recent 'terroist' attacks on courthouse in Istanbul
Istanbul/IBNS: Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Nasser Kanaani on Wednesday strongly condemned a deadly "terrorist" attack on a courthouse in Turkey's largest city, Istanbul.
He made the remarks in a statement published on the ministry's website while reacting to the attack in front of the Istanbul Caglayan Courthouse on Tuesday, in which a civilian was killed and six others, including three police officers, were wounded.
Kanaani extended sympathy to the families of those killed and injured in the incident, wishing the wounded a speedy recovery.
He reaffirmed Iran's solidarity with the "brotherly and friendly country of Turkey" in the fight against terrorism.
What happened?
The two attackers who were captured dead in the gun attack on Turkey's largest courthouse on Tuesday were "members of the outlawed Revolutionary People's Liberation Party-Front (DHKP-C)," said Interior Minister Ali Yerlikaya.
"At 11:46 a.m. local time (0846 GMT) today, an attack was attempted against the checkpoint in front of Gate C of Istanbul Caglayan Courthouse," Yerlikaya said on social media platform X.
Two attackers were captured dead, Yerlikaya said, noting that six people, including three police officers, were wounded in the attack.
The NTV broadcaster put the death toll at three after a wounded citizen died.
Many police and special operations teams rushed to the area, blocking the entrance and exit of the courthouse, located on the European side of the city, NTV said.
Justice Minister Yilmaz Tunc announced that the Istanbul Chief Public Prosecutor's Office had initiated a judicial investigation into the attack.
DHKP-C, the Revolutionary People's Liberation Party-Front, is a Marxist–Leninist communist party in Turkey.
Founded in 1978 as the Revolutionary Left, it has been involved in a militant campaign against the Republic of Turkey since the 1980s.
It is classified as a terrorist group by Japan, Turkey, the United States, the United Kingdom, and the European Union.
Last month, two masked Islamic State gunmen entered the Santa Maria Church during Sunday Mass and began shooting, killing one person and injuring another in this city.
(With UNI/Xinhua inputs)
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.

Gunfire near White House: Two National Guard soldiers shot as Afghan national suspect arrested
Two National Guard soldiers were critically injured on Wednesday after they were shot by a gunman, identified as an Afghan national, less than two blocks from the White House, authorities said.

Horror in Hong Kong: Death toll hits 44 as massive blaze continues, hundreds missing
The death toll from a massive fire that swept through residential apartments in Hong Kong’s Tai Po district has climbed to 44, with around 270 people still unaccounted for, authorities said on Thursday.
Latest News

Tripura aims to become national tourism hub; 4th 'Unity Promo Fest 2025' opens

Delhi air pollution worsenses, AQI deteriorates to 384; several NCR pockets in 'severe' category

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock

