Iran's Supreme Leader vows tough response to Kerman terror attack
Tehran: Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, vowed a tough response and punishment to both the perpetrators and organisers of the terrorist attack in the city of Kerman, which killed nearly 100 people on Wednesday.
A total of 95 people were killed and 211 others were wounded on Wednesday by two explosions at Iranian General Qasem Soleimani’s memorial site in Kerman, during a ceremony marking the fourth anniversary of his assassination by US forces.
"Both the hands stained with the blood of innocent people and the corrupt, evil minds that led them to this miscalculation will definitely be the target of a severe pounding and a deserving retribution," Khamenei said in a statement posted on his website.
"They should know that, God willing, this tragedy will be met with a strong response."
The Iranian government declared Thursday a day of national mourning for the victims, and the country's President Ebrahim Raisi said the masterminds and perpetrators of the terrorist attack would be identified by security forces and law enforcement agencies and brought to account.
Soleimani, who commanded the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps' Quds Force, was killed by a US drone strike in Baghdad on January 3, 2020.
Washington claimed he had been involved in organising the attack on the US embassy in Baghdad on December 31, 2019. In response, Iran launched strikes on US bases in Iraq, including the al-Asad Airbase.
The New York Times reported Wednesday, citing two sources familiar with Iran's internal discussions, that Ayatollah Khamenei had instructed Iranian military commanders to pursue "strategic patience" and avoid a direct military confrontation with the United States.
The sources said he had ordered the military to "limit retaliation" to covert operations against Israel or proxy militia attacks on US bases in Syria and Iraq.
(With UNI/Sputnik inputs)
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.

Gunfire near White House: Two National Guard soldiers shot as Afghan national suspect arrested
Two National Guard soldiers were critically injured on Wednesday after they were shot by a gunman, identified as an Afghan national, less than two blocks from the White House, authorities said.

Horror in Hong Kong: Death toll hits 44 as massive blaze continues, hundreds missing
The death toll from a massive fire that swept through residential apartments in Hong Kong’s Tai Po district has climbed to 44, with around 270 people still unaccounted for, authorities said on Thursday.
Latest News

Tripura aims to become national tourism hub; 4th 'Unity Promo Fest 2025' opens

Delhi air pollution worsenses, AQI deteriorates to 384; several NCR pockets in 'severe' category

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock

