Iraqi PM warns US against unilateral response to rocket attack on embassy
Baghdad: Iraqi Prime Minister Mohammed Shia' al-Sudani has reiterated his government's commitment to protecting diplomatic missions while reminding the United States not to respond unilaterally to an unclaimed rock attack on the U.S. embassy without Iraq's approval.
He made the remarks in a phone call from U.S. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin on Friday night on security issues, including a rocket attack near the U.S. embassy earlier in the day, said a statement by the Iraqi prime minister's media office.
Al-Sudani stressed the government's commitment to protecting diplomatic missions in Iraq, personnel of the international coalition mission, and their facilities, "warning at the same time against direct response without the approval of the Iraqi government," the statement said.
Austin, for his part, welcomed the Iraqi government's condemnation and measures to pursue the perpetrators, stressing that such actions threaten the internal security of Iraq, according to the statement.
In the early hours of Friday, a barrage of rockets hit the vicinity of the U.S. embassy located in the heavily fortified Green Zone in central Baghdad.
Later, al-Sudani condemned the targeting of diplomatic missions as "unacceptable under any circumstances," and gave the order to hunt down those responsible.
U.S. military bases in Iraq and Syria have recently become the targets of attacks by armed Shiite militias as part of retaliatory measures for the U.S. support of Israel in its ongoing conflict with Hamas in the Gaza Strip.
The repeated attacks by Iraqi militias prompted the U.S. forces to conduct airstrikes on positions of the Iraqi paramilitary Hashd Shaabi forces that killed more than a dozen fighters and wounded others.
(UNI/XINHUA)
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.

Gunfire near White House: Two National Guard soldiers shot as Afghan national suspect arrested
Two National Guard soldiers were critically injured on Wednesday after they were shot by a gunman, identified as an Afghan national, less than two blocks from the White House, authorities said.
Latest News

Cooperative Minister inaugurates Longtharai’s Jolaibari retailers meet

Saving the Gentle Giant: How India’s Fishers Are Leading a Whale Shark Revival

Cyclone Ditwah affects Tamil Nadu: Flights cancelled, schools shut

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka

