Israel-Gaza crisis: Competing Security Council resolutions reveal diplomatic fault lines
The UN Security Council’s first intervention in the Gaza crisis – a Russian-led draft resolution calling for humanitarian ceasefire – was voted down on Monday. Despite this setback, diplomatic efforts are in full swing as ambassadors prepare to consider another text on the unprecedented crisis.
The 15-member body that oversees peace and security issues, is expected to decide on a second draft resolution later on Tuesday, led by Brazil.
While it does not officially represent the position of the Council until adopted, this proposal aims to mitigate ongoing humanitarian suffering on the ground, establish corridors for safe aid delivery, as well as protect UN and other humanitarian workers who are struggling to provide lifesaving aid to the people of Gaza.
Key differences
While both texts seek a humanitarian pause, there are key differences, including reportedly over the major point of contention in the Russian draft – explicit mention of the extremist group Hamas which controls Gaza.
Russia’s ambassador told the emergency meeting on Monday, Western powers opposing their resolution had “stomped” on hopes of de-escalation, while the US ambassador said in failing to condemn Hamas, Russia was “giving cover to a terrorist group that brutalizes innocent civilians.”
In the hope of agreeing on unified action – never more important than during a time of international crisis – ambassadors usually seek to build support through resolutions, laying out a clear path.
Rival or parallel drafts of resolutions are common, leaving delegations to hammer out the details and soften the edges, often behind closed doors.
If common positions can’t be reached, the draft goes for a vote, where it either passes, or – as on Monday night – is rejected.
UN chief to visit region
Meanwhile, UN officials continue to engage with all actors involved in the widening crisis, to de-escalate tensions, establish safe zones, and provide essential aid and medical support to those in urgent need.
Secretary-General António Guterres is set to arrive in Egypt on Thursday to meet President Abdel Fattah Al Sisi and others.
World leaders are also making appeals to de-escalate, with the White House announcing President Joe Biden’s high stakes visit to Israel and Jordan beginning on Wednesday, in a show of solidarity with partners in the region.
A crisis erupts
UN and other humanitarian agencies have worked round the clock to preposition aid since the latest war between Israel and Hamas broke out following the militant group’s surprise 7 October attack on several locations inside Israel, and Israel’s subsequent declaration of war.
Thousands have reportedly been killed on both sides and hundreds of thousands have been forced to flee south inside Gaza, where the southern frontier remains closed so far to vital aid.
UN staff, primarily with the Palestine refugees agency UNRWA, as well as medical personnel and aid workers, have also lost their lives.
Concerns loom over the potential for the violence to spill over into neighbouring countries, destabilizing the entire region – and beyond.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married his partner Jodie Haydon on Saturday, becoming the first sitting leader in the country to wed while in office.

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.
Latest News

He doesn’t fight evil, he destroys it! Nandamuri Balakrishna's Akhanda 2 teaser unleashes divine fury

Can’t miss horror! Dies Irae starring Pranav Mohanlal hits Jio Hotstar December 5

UN alerts: Global measles cases surge as 30 million children miss vaccines

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon

