Israel intends to kill top 3 Hamas leaders as part of operation in Gaza
Gaza: Israel plans to eliminate the top three commanders of Hamas, including the movement's leader in the Gaza Strip, Yahya Sinwar, as part of the ongoing military operation in the Palestinian enclave, the Financial Times newspaper reported on Friday, citing sources familiar with the strategy.
Aside from Sinwar, Mohammed Deif, the head of Hamas' military wing, and his second-in-command, Marwan Issa, are on the top of the hit list.
The Israeli authorities intend to achieve a decisive military victory over Hamas forces and destroy the Palestinian movement's ability to exercise authority over the Gaza Strip, the newspaper wrote.
"This will be a very long war.... We’re currently not near halfway to achieving our objectives," one person, familiar with the Israeli war plans, was quoted as saying.
At the moment, 10 out of 24 Hamas battalions have been significantly hurt, with over 50 commanders and 5,000 fighters killed, the newspaper added, citing a senior Israeli military official.
The newspaper's sources underlined that the Israeli authorities' military strategy is quite flexible and depends on many factors, including the progress of the ground operation, international pressure and the ability to free hostages held by Hamas.
On October 7, Hamas launched a large-scale rocket attack against Israel from the Gaza Strip and breached the border, killing around 1,200 people and abducting some 240 others.
Israel launched retaliatory strikes, ordered a complete blockade of Gaza and launched a large-scale ground incursion into the Palestinian enclave with the declared aim of defeating Hamas and freeing the hostages.
The conflict has so far resulted in the deaths of over 16,000 people in the Gaza Strip.
Last week, Qatar mediated a deal between Israel and Hamas on a temporary truce and the exchange of some of the prisoners and hostages, as well as the delivery of humanitarian aid into the Gaza Strip.
The ceasefire has been extended several times since then and expired this Friday morning. According to Israeli authorities, Hamas has released 110 hostages so far and still holds at least 137 others.
(Wth UNI/Sputnik inputs)
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.

Gunfire near White House: Two National Guard soldiers shot as Afghan national suspect arrested
Two National Guard soldiers were critically injured on Wednesday after they were shot by a gunman, identified as an Afghan national, less than two blocks from the White House, authorities said.
Latest News

Cooperative Minister inaugurates Longtharai’s Jolaibari retailers meet

Saving the Gentle Giant: How India’s Fishers Are Leading a Whale Shark Revival

Cyclone Ditwah affects Tamil Nadu: Flights cancelled, schools shut

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka

