Istanbul church shootings: 25 suspects arrested, says minister
Istanbul: Turkish authorities have formally arrested 25 individuals in relation to the recent church attack in Istanbul, Justice Minister Yilmaz Tunc announced on Friday.
The arrested suspects face charges of "membership in an organisation" and "intentional homicide," Tunc said on the social media platform X, formerly known as Twitter.
Tunc further disclosed that among those detained are the two assailants believed to be associated with the Islamic State, which is responsible for fatally shooting a Turkish citizen during a service at the Santa Maria Church in the Sariyer district of the city on Sunday.
The Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attack on Telegram, saying that it was part of its leader's call to kill Jews and Christians everywhere.
Turkish Interior Minister Ali Yerlikaya had previously stated that the attackers came from Tajikistan and Russia.
Highlighting the ongoing comprehensive judicial investigation, Tunc mentioned that nine of the suspects have been released under judicial control conditions.
Turkish security forces had detained 51 suspects in connection with the attack, the Demiroren News Agency reported on Monday.
The Attack
On January 28, 2024, at around 11:40 a.m. TRT (8:40 GMT), two masked gunmen entered the church during Sunday Mass and began shooting, killing one person and injuring another.
The attackers were reported to have driven to church using a car that had been brought from Poland the previous year and had not been used until then.
Security footage taken before the attack showed the gunmen, one of whom was wearing sunglasses, wearing black ski masks while concealing their hands in their pockets.
The suspected attackers were arrested by police while fleeing the church.
(With UNI/Xinhua inputs)
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.

Gunfire near White House: Two National Guard soldiers shot as Afghan national suspect arrested
Two National Guard soldiers were critically injured on Wednesday after they were shot by a gunman, identified as an Afghan national, less than two blocks from the White House, authorities said.

Horror in Hong Kong: Death toll hits 44 as massive blaze continues, hundreds missing
The death toll from a massive fire that swept through residential apartments in Hong Kong’s Tai Po district has climbed to 44, with around 270 people still unaccounted for, authorities said on Thursday.
Latest News

Tripura aims to become national tourism hub; 4th 'Unity Promo Fest 2025' opens

Delhi air pollution worsenses, AQI deteriorates to 384; several NCR pockets in 'severe' category

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock

