Japan PM's suspected attacker to undergo mental evaluation
Tokyo: A man, who is suspected of throwing an explosive device towards Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida last month, will undergo a psychiatric evaluation, informed sources told UNI Monday.
The Wakayama Summary Court in western Japan has approved the request from prosecutors to keep the alleged assailant, 24-year-old Ryuji Kimura, for psychiatric evaluation, until Sept. 1.
Specifically, the prosecutors in the case wish to determine through the psychiatric evaluation whether Kimura can be held criminally responsible for his involvement in the alleged attack.
Kimura, from Hyogo Prefecture, is alleged to have thrown an explosive device towards Kishida as the prime minister was about to make a stump speech at a local fishing port in the city of Wakayama on April 15.
Kishida was not injured in the attack, but a police officer and another person sustained minor injuries as a result of the attack, according to local media.
Kimura was swiftly arrested at the scene on suspicion of obstructing business and was later served a fresh arrest warrant for manufacturing explosives in violation of Japan's firearms control law.
According to investigators, Kimura has remained silent since his arrest, but they are trying to determine if he held a grudge against Japan's election system as he had sued the government in June last year, claiming he was unable to run in the upper house election last year due to some restrictions, including age.
The latest attack comes less than a year after former Prime Minister Shinzo Abe was fatally shot by an assailant with a homemade gun while making a stump speech.
(With UNI inputs)
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married his partner Jodie Haydon on Saturday, becoming the first sitting leader in the country to wed while in office.

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.
Latest News

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

