Malaysian police target Chinese scam syndicate
Kuala Lumpur: Malaysian police have hit a scam syndicate from China who preyed on older women by duping them into buying medicine and paying for prayers in return for “curing” their illnesses, media reports said.
The bogus “bomoh” (shaman) scam syndicate was made up of foreign nationals, police was quoted as saying by The SOuth China Morning Post on Tuesday.
Five suspects – four women and a man, all aged 40 to 50 – who are accused of being part of the syndicate were arrested at Kuala Lumpur International Airport on Thursday last week while trying to escape to China.
“We also seized nine mobile phones, five bags, various types of jewellery, 11 watches of various brands, and a total of 94,300 yuan (US$13,600),” Deputy Commissioner Fisol Salleh, deputy police chief of Penang state, told a press conference as quoted by the newspaper at state police headquarters on Tuesday.
Fisol said the scam syndicate’s modus operandi was to go to public markets early in the morning and approach women over the age of 60.
He said the syndicate would offer medicine that could purportedly cure chronic illnesses.“The members of the syndicate also gave their phone numbers to the victims to offer follow-up treatment,” he said.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married his partner Jodie Haydon on Saturday, becoming the first sitting leader in the country to wed while in office.

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.
Latest News

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

