Maldives projects 2 million tourists in 2024
Colombo: Maldivian President Mohamed Muizzu Monday forecasted that the country could attract two million tourist arrivals this year, making it the first time in the history of the Maldives since the inception of its tourism industry, according to local media.
Muizzu made the statement while delivering his first presidential address at the opening sitting of the last session of the ongoing 19th Parliament on Monday morning.
The president said the expansion of Velana International Airport (VIA) would increase tourist arrivals by 10.3 percent on average in the medium term.
Muizzu said his government wants to open 20 new resorts this year, and these will create 2,827 beds.
The president said they are now identifying obstructions to the development of islands, land plots, and lagoons leased for tourism development that have been halted for various reasons and exploring possible solutions.
The president said they are now identifying obstructions to the development of islands, land plots, and lagoons leased for tourism development that have been halted for various reasons and exploring possible solutions.
According to official data, the Maldives recorded the arrival of over 1.8 million tourists in 2023.
The Maldives recorded the arrivals of over 192,000 tourists in January this year, a 11.5 percent increase compared to the same period last year, according to the statistics released by the Tourism Ministry.
(With UNI/Xinhua inputs)
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.

Gunfire near White House: Two National Guard soldiers shot as Afghan national suspect arrested
Two National Guard soldiers were critically injured on Wednesday after they were shot by a gunman, identified as an Afghan national, less than two blocks from the White House, authorities said.

Horror in Hong Kong: Death toll hits 44 as massive blaze continues, hundreds missing
The death toll from a massive fire that swept through residential apartments in Hong Kong’s Tai Po district has climbed to 44, with around 270 people still unaccounted for, authorities said on Thursday.
Latest News

Tripura aims to become national tourism hub; 4th 'Unity Promo Fest 2025' opens

Delhi air pollution worsenses, AQI deteriorates to 384; several NCR pockets in 'severe' category

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock

