National outcry over femicide in Italy amid student's murder
Rome/IBNS: The murder of 22-year-old student Giulia Cecchettin in Italy has sparked outrage across the country with thousands of people taking part in protests over femicide.
What happened?
Cecchettin, a 22-year-old student at University of Padua who was about to graduate with a degree in biomedical engineering, reportedly fell victim to murder at the hands of Filippo Turetta, her ex-boyfriend, reported BBC.
On November 11, she went to buy her graduation outfit with Turetta; following this, the couple disappeared.
A few days later, CCTV footage revealed the tragic final moments of Cecchettin's life.
In a car park near her home in Vigonovo, near Venice, Turetta, 22, was captured assaulting her.
Despite her attempts to flee, he subdued her by placing duct tape on her mouth, forcing her into his car. He then drove to an industrial area, where he subjected her to further attacks.
Following a week-long search, her body was discovered at the bottom of a ditch, wrapped in a black plastic bag with multiple stab wounds, according to BBC.
Turetta, sought by an international arrest warrant, was apprehended near Leipzig, Germany.
After returning to Italy on Saturday, he is currently detained in a Verona prison. Although not formally charged, a preliminary hearing is scheduled for Tuesday, as reported by Corriere del Veneto.
The Protests
Thousands rallied to condemn Italy's 'patricarchal' culture and violence against women.
To raise awareness of gender-based violence and patriarchy in Italy, a number of events were planned for the day, including processions, races, marches, flash mobs, sit-ins, and even free gynaecological tests, reports BBC.
"Nothing will bring Giulia back, but I want many good initiatives to come out of her death," he said to BBC.
Italian President Sergio Mattarella said: "Dramatic news stories have shaken the country's conscience," marking the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women, BBC reports.
"A human society that aspires to be civilised cannot accept, cannot endure, this string of attacks on women and murders," he said, adding that violence against women was a failure of society.
Giorgia Meloni, Italy's first female prime minister, has expressed outrage at the country's long history of violence against women.
Talking to X, she wrote, "We are free, and no one can take that freedom away from us; no one can think that we are in their possession."
Siamo libere, e nessuno può toglierci quella libertà, nessuno può pensare che siamo nel loro possesso.
— Giorgia Meloni (@GiorgiaMeloni) November 25, 2023
Nella Giornata internazionale per l’eliminazione della violenza contro le donne, voglio dire alle donne italiane che non sono sole, e che quando hanno paura 1522 è il numero da… pic.twitter.com/AKJPtz2agN
According to data from the Italian Interior Ministry, of the 106 women who have died in Italy so far this year, 55 are purportedly the victims of partners or ex-partners.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.

Gunfire near White House: Two National Guard soldiers shot as Afghan national suspect arrested
Two National Guard soldiers were critically injured on Wednesday after they were shot by a gunman, identified as an Afghan national, less than two blocks from the White House, authorities said.
Latest News

WHO sounds alarm: Infertility now strikes 1 in 6 people worldwide!

Cooperative Minister inaugurates Longtharai’s Jolaibari retailers meet

Saving the Gentle Giant: How India’s Fishers Are Leading a Whale Shark Revival

Cyclone Ditwah affects Tamil Nadu: Flights cancelled, schools shut

