NATO preparing for high-intensity conflict in Europe, says Czech Prez
Moscow: Czech President Petr Pavel said that all NATO members, including the Czech Republic, consider Russia the greatest military threat and are preparing for a potential high-intensity conflict in Europe.
On Wednesday, the countries of the Visegrad Group, a cultural and political alliance of the Czech Republic, Poland, Slovakia, and Hungary, also known as the Visegrad Four, the V4, and the European Quartet, gathered at Prague Castle to hold a V4 leaders’ summit.
They discuss the most pressing international issues, including the conflicts in Ukraine and in the Middle East and the future of the European Union.
"Not only the Czech Republic but also all NATO members consider Russia to be the No. 1 threat to Europe. This means that there is a necessity to prepare for such a war under realistic conditions. All [NATO] forces are preparing for a potential high-intensity conflict in Europe," Pavel told the press conference following the V4 leaders’ summit.
"At the same time, the president said NATO did not want such a development and that predictions of a likely conflict were "a realistic warning, not something that is bound to happen."
Russia launched its special military operation in Ukraine on February 24 last year.
Western countries responded by imposing comprehensive sanctions against Moscow while also ramping up their military support for Kiev.
Russian and Ukrainian delegations have engaged in several rounds of peace talks since then, but the negotiations ultimately reached an impasse.
(With UNI/Sputnik inputs)
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.

Gunfire near White House: Two National Guard soldiers shot as Afghan national suspect arrested
Two National Guard soldiers were critically injured on Wednesday after they were shot by a gunman, identified as an Afghan national, less than two blocks from the White House, authorities said.
Latest News

WHO sounds alarm: Infertility now strikes 1 in 6 people worldwide!

Cooperative Minister inaugurates Longtharai’s Jolaibari retailers meet

Saving the Gentle Giant: How India’s Fishers Are Leading a Whale Shark Revival

Cyclone Ditwah affects Tamil Nadu: Flights cancelled, schools shut

