New Zealand decides to ban TikTok on devices linked to parliament
Wellington: New Zealand has decided to ban the Chinese conglomerate-owned popular social media app TikTok on all devices with access to its parliament by the end of this month.
Globally, several governments have imposed restrictions on the app.
Rafael Gonzalez-Montero, chief executive of New Zealand’s parliamentary service, said in a statement: “On advice from our cyber security experts, Parliamentary Service has informed members and staff the applicaiton TikTok will be removed from all devices with access to the parliamentary network. Arrangements can be made for those who require the app to perform their democratic duties."
"This decision has been made based on our own experts’ analysis and following discussion with our colleagues across government and internationally. Based on this information the Service has determined that the risks are not acceptable in the current New Zealand Parliamentary environment," read the statement.
New Zealand lawmaker Simon O’Connor, who is also a co-chair of the Inter-Parliamentary Alliance on China (IPAC), told CNN that he welcomed the decision, calling it “a good one”.
“I – and IPAC as a whole – have had serious concerns about data privacy for some time,” he said, adding that TikTok’s replies to his previous enquiries about data security had been “unsatisfactory”.
The United States, UK and Canada earlier cited cyber security reasons to remove the app from all government phones.
All three nations are part of the “Five Eyes” alliance.
The alliance cooperates with each other on intelligence gathering and sharing.
The other two member nations of the alliance are Australia and New Zealand.
TikTok is one of the most popular social media app globally.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married his partner Jodie Haydon on Saturday, becoming the first sitting leader in the country to wed while in office.

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.
Latest News

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

