Over 7 million Afghan children to receive anti-polio vaccines
More than 7.5 million children under five would receive anti-polio vaccines in 21 out of Afghanistan's 34 provinces, a statement of the country's Ministry of Public Health said.
A total of 7,580,085 children under five would receive the doses of vaccines in 233 districts of 21 provinces during the four-day anti-polio campaign launched on Monday, the statement added.
A similar campaign to eradicate the crippling disease was also launched a month ago on Dec. 29 in the war-ravaged country, during which around 7.5 million children under five were vaccinated against polio.
Six positive polio cases have reportedly been registered in Afghanistan in 2023. So far no statistics have been issued to confirm the detection of positive polio cases in the current year.
According to the United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund, Afghanistan and Pakistan are the only two remaining polio-endemic countries globally.
(With UNI inputs)
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.

Gunfire near White House: Two National Guard soldiers shot as Afghan national suspect arrested
Two National Guard soldiers were critically injured on Wednesday after they were shot by a gunman, identified as an Afghan national, less than two blocks from the White House, authorities said.

Horror in Hong Kong: Death toll hits 44 as massive blaze continues, hundreds missing
The death toll from a massive fire that swept through residential apartments in Hong Kong’s Tai Po district has climbed to 44, with around 270 people still unaccounted for, authorities said on Thursday.
Latest News

Tripura aims to become national tourism hub; 4th 'Unity Promo Fest 2025' opens

Delhi air pollution worsenses, AQI deteriorates to 384; several NCR pockets in 'severe' category

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock

