Pakistan: Amnesty International condemns Baloch protesters, demands authority to drop charges against them
A major global human rights advocacy group recently raised concern over the arrest of protesters from Balochistan who marched towards Islamabad to highlight the issue of extrajudicial killings in their province.
Amnesty International asked Pakistani authorities to drop charges against the arrested people.
The march began after people in the country’s southeastern town of Turbat accused officials of the provincial Counter-Terrorism Department (CTD) of killing 24-year-old Balach Baloch in November after arresting him on charges of possessing five kilograms of explosive material, reported Arab News.
Baloch’s family and members of the civil society held a sit-in in Turbat for about two weeks to protest what they called his “custodial death” and demanded action against the CTD officials, the newspaper reported.
🇵🇰 Pakistan: @Amnesty strongly condemns the arrest and detention of at least 20 participants of the Baloch march on 17 December in Dera Ghazi Khan, Punjab.
— Amnesty International South Asia, Regional Office (@amnestysasia) December 18, 2023
The protestors, many of them women and families of the forcibly disappeared, peacefully held a sit-in and, subsequently,…
The protesters, which included women and children, participated in a 766-kilometer-long march to Quetta earlier this month and then decided to move to Islamabad.
Amnesty International said 20 people were detained during the march.
In a statement posted on X, Amnesty said: "@Amnesty strongly condemns the arrest and detention of at least 20 participants of the Baloch march on 17 December in Dera Ghazi Khan, Punjab."
"The protestors, many of them women and families of the forcibly disappeared, peacefully held a sit-in and, subsequently, started a long march from Balochistan to Islamabad demanding justice and accountability after the extrajudicial killing of Balach Mola Bakhsh and three others by the Pakistan Counterterrorism Department (CTD) in Turbat, Balochistan on 23 November 2023. Balach, a 24-year-old Baloch man, was taken by law enforcement on 29 October and was in CTD custody on remand when extrajudicially executed," read the post.
"The protestors have been released, however, 3 separate cases against the organizers and participants have been filed," advocacy group said.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.

Gunfire near White House: Two National Guard soldiers shot as Afghan national suspect arrested
Two National Guard soldiers were critically injured on Wednesday after they were shot by a gunman, identified as an Afghan national, less than two blocks from the White House, authorities said.

Horror in Hong Kong: Death toll hits 44 as massive blaze continues, hundreds missing
The death toll from a massive fire that swept through residential apartments in Hong Kong’s Tai Po district has climbed to 44, with around 270 people still unaccounted for, authorities said on Thursday.
Latest News

Three-day forestry training in Agartala stresses sustainable livelihood, green entrepreneurship

Tripura aims to become national tourism hub; 4th 'Unity Promo Fest 2025' opens

Delhi air pollution worsenses, AQI deteriorates to 384; several NCR pockets in 'severe' category

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump

