Pakistan: Official data shows gas prices surged by 1,109 percent in a year
The Pakistan Bureau of Statistics (PBS) released data has shown gas charges have spiked by 1108.59 percent in the outgoing week of 2023 against the same week last year.
The official data of the Sensitive Price Index (SPI) released on Friday shows that gas charges for lower quintile witnessed a hike in prices by 1108.59 percent in the latest week, reported The News International.
On other hand, the Ministry of Energy claimed that gas prices went up 65 percent on average with effect from November 2023, so there is something fundamentally wrong somewhere resulting into massive differences in calculation worked out by both sides.
Top official sources confirmed to The News International on Friday that the Ministry of Energy took up the issue with the Pakistan Bureau of Statistics (PBS) and inquired about the used methodology to calculate such a massive hike. In the last week Sensitive Price Index (SPI), the PBS had calculated gas charges for lowest quintile in the range of 480 percent for the latest week compared to the same week of the last year.
The Ministry of Energy and PBS high-ups held meetings but both sides failed to strike a consensus on any workable solution mutually agreed by both sides.
The Ministry of Energy took the stance that there were two categories, protected and non-protected, and almost 57 percent customers belonged to the category of protected customers where there was no surge in the prices. Ministry of Energy high-ups inquired about the used methodology and asked the PBS to furnish the notification of OGRA (Oil and Gas Regulatory Authority).
It was also inquired whether the PBS took the Ministry of Energy or OGRA into confidence or secured any authentication at the time of changing price data methodology few years back.
“We have sought an authentication letter from the PBS but it was argued that there was set methodology which cannot be changed in line with international standards,” sources told the newspaper.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.

Gunfire near White House: Two National Guard soldiers shot as Afghan national suspect arrested
Two National Guard soldiers were critically injured on Wednesday after they were shot by a gunman, identified as an Afghan national, less than two blocks from the White House, authorities said.
Latest News

WHO sounds alarm: Infertility now strikes 1 in 6 people worldwide!

Cooperative Minister inaugurates Longtharai’s Jolaibari retailers meet

Saving the Gentle Giant: How India’s Fishers Are Leading a Whale Shark Revival

Cyclone Ditwah affects Tamil Nadu: Flights cancelled, schools shut

