Pakistani court sentences former PM Imran Khan to 14-year imprisonment in gift case
Islamabad/UNI: An accountability court of Pakistan on Wednesday sentenced the country's former prime minister Imran Khan and his wife to 14-year imprisonment in the gift case under the charges of taking and selling gifts from the Toshakhana (treasure-house) illegally, said a statement from Khan's party Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI).
Toshakhana is a repository in Pakistan where presents handed to government officials from foreign officials are kept and then sold to the officials who pay a specific percentage of the actual amount.
The PTI said the Accountability Court also disqualified both Khan and his wife for 10 years from holding any public office and also imposed a fine of 787 million rupees (2.8 million U.S. dollars) each.
In August last year, Khan was arrested and sent to jail after a local court in Islamabad sentenced Khan to three-year imprisonment for hiding his financial assets.
On Tuesday, a special court established under the Official Secrets Act sentenced Khan and former foreign minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi to 10 years in prison for the breach of state secrets.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.

Gunfire near White House: Two National Guard soldiers shot as Afghan national suspect arrested
Two National Guard soldiers were critically injured on Wednesday after they were shot by a gunman, identified as an Afghan national, less than two blocks from the White House, authorities said.

Horror in Hong Kong: Death toll hits 44 as massive blaze continues, hundreds missing
The death toll from a massive fire that swept through residential apartments in Hong Kong’s Tai Po district has climbed to 44, with around 270 people still unaccounted for, authorities said on Thursday.
Latest News

Tripura aims to become national tourism hub; 4th 'Unity Promo Fest 2025' opens

Delhi air pollution worsenses, AQI deteriorates to 384; several NCR pockets in 'severe' category

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock

