Samuel Paty's beheading case: Six teens convicted in France
At least six teens have been convicted in the events leading to the beheading of a teacher in France in 2020.
One, a 13-year-old girl at the time, was convicted of making false accusations. Five others, who had been aged between 14 and 15, were found guilty of criminal conspiracy with intent to cause violence, reported The Guardian.
History teacher Samuel Paty was murdered by beheading on October 16, 2020 on the outskirts of Paris by an 18-year-old Chechen radical.
The attack allegedly occurred because the teacher had shown religious caricatures depicting Islamic prophet Muhammad to his students as part of freedom of speech discussion, prompting outrage among their Muslim parents. The caricature was published in French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo.
The attacker was shot dead by police the same day he committed the murder.
The attacker was identified as 18-year-old Chechen refugee Abdoullakh Anzorov.
A second trial will open next year for eight adults also accused of complicity in the murder. These include Brahim Chnina, the father of the 13-year-old girl on trial, reported BBC.
According to reports, the convicted girl told her parents that the teacher had asked Muslim students to leave the room before showing the caricatures.
But she had in fact been absent from the class in question. The court found her guilty of having made false accusation charges and slanderous comments, reported BBC.
Following the publication of caricatures of Prophet Muhammad, the office of Charlie Hebdo was attacked by suspected Islamist extremists in 2015, leaving at least twelve people dead.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.

Gunfire near White House: Two National Guard soldiers shot as Afghan national suspect arrested
Two National Guard soldiers were critically injured on Wednesday after they were shot by a gunman, identified as an Afghan national, less than two blocks from the White House, authorities said.
Latest News

Cooperative Minister inaugurates Longtharai’s Jolaibari retailers meet

Saving the Gentle Giant: How India’s Fishers Are Leading a Whale Shark Revival

Cyclone Ditwah affects Tamil Nadu: Flights cancelled, schools shut

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka

