Shelling attack in Russin-held Donetsk leaves 25 people dead
At least 25 people have died in a shelling incident in the Russian-held city of Donetsk, media reports said.
The shelling reportedly left 20 people injured.
At least 25 civilians have been killed and 20 more wounded as a result of a Ukrainian shelling of Donetsk on Sunday, the head of the Donetsk People's Republic Denis Pushilin told Sputnik.
He has described the attack as "atrocious", stressing that the market was shelled on the day when it was especially crowded.
Ukraine did not comment on the shelling so far.
Increase in civilian casualties in Ukraine in recent weeks
Recent weeks have seen a steep increase in civilian casualties in Ukraine following an intensification of Russian attacks, the UN Human Rights Monitoring Mission in the country, HRMMU, said in a new report issued on Tuesday (January 9, 2024).
Hundreds of people across the country were killed or wounded in drone and missile strikes in the 10-day period between 29 December and 8 January alone.
“Civilian casualties had been steadily decreasing in 2023 but the wave of attacks in late December and early January violently interrupted that trend,” said Danielle Bell, head of the monitoring mission.
Next month marks two years since Russia launched its full-scale invasion of Ukraine, which has left 40 per cent of the population, 14.6 million people, in need of humanitarian assistance.
More than four million people are internally displaced and 6.3 million have sought refuge elsewhere, mainly in neighbouring countries.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.

Gunfire near White House: Two National Guard soldiers shot as Afghan national suspect arrested
Two National Guard soldiers were critically injured on Wednesday after they were shot by a gunman, identified as an Afghan national, less than two blocks from the White House, authorities said.

Horror in Hong Kong: Death toll hits 44 as massive blaze continues, hundreds missing
The death toll from a massive fire that swept through residential apartments in Hong Kong’s Tai Po district has climbed to 44, with around 270 people still unaccounted for, authorities said on Thursday.
Latest News

Tripura aims to become national tourism hub; 4th 'Unity Promo Fest 2025' opens

Delhi air pollution worsenses, AQI deteriorates to 384; several NCR pockets in 'severe' category

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock

