South Africa: 74 die in Johannesburg 'hijacked' building fire
At least 74 people, including 12 children, died as a fire broke out at a five-storey building in the South African city of Johannesburg, media reports said on Friday.
Authorities told CNN they have moved through the building floor by floor, searching for survivors and pulling out charred bodies and laying them on the streets.
More than 50 other people were injured, Robert Mulaudzi, a spokesperson for the city’s emergency services, told CNN.
Wiseman Mpepa, who survived the fire, told CNN he woke up to people screaming. After seeing the fire blocking the building’s exit, he broke his window, but struggled to climb through.
Mpepa said he tried to tell other people in the building to go a gate to exit the building, but the gate was shut.
“They closed the gate,” he told CNN on the ground. “After that, I had no plan. I just sat (in my room).”
The cause of the fire, which has been extinguished, is still unknown.
Mulaudzi said the fire incident happened in a 'hijacked' building.
What are hijacked buildings?
In South Africa's Johannesburg city, several hijacked buildings are present.
These buildings have been abandoned by their landlords and since then taken over by criminal gangs that lease them out illegally.
In the 1990s and 2000s, criminal syndicates began to "hijack" buildings that were left empty and rented them out illegally, reports ABC News.
According to reports, these buildings even became dilapidated centres of drug crime and other illegal activities.
In some cases, the syndicates occupied buildings with false title deeds, Angela Rivers, the general manager at Johannesburg Property Owners and Managers Association, told ABC News.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married his partner Jodie Haydon on Saturday, becoming the first sitting leader in the country to wed while in office.

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.
Latest News

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

