South Korea: Youth population expected to halve in 30 years
The number of young South Koreans was expected to halve in 30 years amid the rapidly aging population and the record-low birth-rate, the country's statistical agency said Monday.
The number of those aged 19-34 totalled 10,213,000 in 2020, taking up 20.4 percent of the country's total population, according to Statistics Korea.
The number was forecast to drop to 5,213,000 in 2050 after steadily declining from 13,849,000 in 1990 to 12,883,000 in 2000 and 10,967,000 in 2010.
The percentage of youth to the total population was forecast to tumble to 11.0 percent in 2050.
The total fertility rate, or an average number of children a woman is expected to bear in her lifetime, hit a new low of 0.78 in 2022 amid rapid population ageing.
The percentage of unmarried young people to the total youth population soared to 81.5 percent in 2020 from 75.0 percent five years earlier.
The figure has been on the fast rise from 54.5 percent in 2000 to 63.2 percent in 2005 and 68.9 percent in 2010.
The proportion of the economically active young women to the total young women had been on the increase from 42.3 percent in 2000 to 55.2 percent in 2010 and 61.1 percent in 2020.
The percentage of the economically active young men had roughly been on the decline from 66.0 percent in 2000 to 64.7 percent in 2010 and 63.9 percent in 2020.
(With UNI inputs)
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.

Gunfire near White House: Two National Guard soldiers shot as Afghan national suspect arrested
Two National Guard soldiers were critically injured on Wednesday after they were shot by a gunman, identified as an Afghan national, less than two blocks from the White House, authorities said.
Latest News

WHO sounds alarm: Infertility now strikes 1 in 6 people worldwide!

Cooperative Minister inaugurates Longtharai’s Jolaibari retailers meet

Saving the Gentle Giant: How India’s Fishers Are Leading a Whale Shark Revival

Cyclone Ditwah affects Tamil Nadu: Flights cancelled, schools shut

