Study finds cannibalism was common as a funerary practice in Europe around 15,000 years ago
Leading researchers at the Natural History Museum (NHM) have found evidence to suggest that cannibalism was a customary funerary practice in Europe during the Magdalenian period.
The study, published in Quaternary Science Reviews, analysed remains uncovered across Europe dating to the late Upper Palaeolithic (~15,000 years ago) and found those groups who practiced funerary cannibalism carried similar genetic ancestry.
Gough’s Cave, a famous Palaeolithic site located in Cheddar Gorge, is renowned for the discovery of three manipulated human skulls into the shape of cups alongside over 100 human bone fragments modified by cut-marks, breakage and human chewing marks, some specimens of which are currently housed at the Museum.
Through a rigorous review of available archaeological evidence, the researchers suggest that this cannibalistic behaviour was seemingly common amongst Magdalenian human groups of northwestern Europe and that the discovery of cannibalism at Gough’s Cave was not an isolated incident.
Dr Silvia Bello, Palaeoanthropologist and Principal Researcher at the NHM and joint first author of the study, said: “We interpret the archaeological evidence that cannibalism was practiced on multiple occasions across northwest Europe over a short period of time as an indication that such behaviour was part of a funerary behaviour among Magdalenian groups, and not simply practiced out of necessity. That in itself is interesting, because it is the oldest evidence of cannibalism as a funerary practice so far known.”
However, not all Magdalenian sites show evidence of cannibalism. In some case, the bodies were deliberately buried, sometimes alongside grave offerings and cave art. Of the 59 sites of Magdalenian human remains identified across Europe, 13 showed evidence of cannibalism, 10 of primary burial and two of both behaviours.
As part of this study, genetic analysis of these sites remarkably suggests that all sequenced human remains from a cannibalised context show Magdalenian (GoyetQ2) related ancestry, and all sequenced individuals found in a primary burial context show genetic ancestry associated with Epigravettian human groups (Villabruna). The Epigravettian was the second distinct European culture of this time alongside the Magdalenian.
Whilst both cultures were present in Europe during this period, they were geographically distinct. As the practice of cannibalism ended and primary burials became more commonplace, this groundbreaking study theorises that this is due to the northward migration of individuals with Epigravettian associated ancestry and the effective replacement of those who carried Magdalenian associated ancestry and practiced funerary cannibalism. Therefore, an example of population replacement rather than the sharing of knowledge.
William Marsh, Postdoctoral Researcher at the NHM and joint first author of the study, said: “To contextualise Gough’s Cave better, we reviewed all archaeological sites attributed to the Magdalenian culture. During the terminal time period of the Palaeolithic, you actually see a turnover in both genetic ancestry and funerary behaviour, indicative of population replacement as Epigravettian groups migrated northwards. We believe that the change in funerary behaviour identified here is an example of demic diffusion where essentially one population comes in and replaces another population and that brings about a change in behaviour.”
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married his partner Jodie Haydon on Saturday, becoming the first sitting leader in the country to wed while in office.

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.
Latest News

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

Suspected child lifter from Bihar severely assaulted by mob in Teliamura

