Taiwan detects 24 Chinese military aircraft and 5 naval vessels around its region, claims Ministry of Defence
Taiwan's Ministry of Defence said 24 Chinese military aircraft and 5 naval vessels were detected around the region on Thursday.
Taiwan posted on X: "24 PLA aircraft and 5 PLAN vessels around Taiwan were detected today."
"11 of the detected aircraft had crossed the median line of the Taiwan Strait or entered Taiwan’s SW and North ADIZ. #ROCArmedForces have monitored the situation and tasked appropriate forces to respond," the Ministry said.
Taiwan on January 16 said one Chinese balloon was detected crossing the median line of the Taiwan Strait with altitude approx. 21,000 feet and later on disappeared.
Taiwan witnessed a political change last week when Lai Ching-te won the presidential polls.
What is the basis of China’s claim over Taiwan?
The basis of China’s claim over Taiwan dates back to 1945 when Japan lost its control over the island in 1945,post-World War Two.
The 1949 Chinese civil war led to communists taking control and Chiang Kai-shek the one who lost fled to Taiwan.
He ruled it for many decades. This is where China’s claim to Taiwan emanates. The very fact that Chiang Kai-shek came to Taiwan and was not indigenous to the place is Taiwan’s argument against the claim.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.

Gunfire near White House: Two National Guard soldiers shot as Afghan national suspect arrested
Two National Guard soldiers were critically injured on Wednesday after they were shot by a gunman, identified as an Afghan national, less than two blocks from the White House, authorities said.

Horror in Hong Kong: Death toll hits 44 as massive blaze continues, hundreds missing
The death toll from a massive fire that swept through residential apartments in Hong Kong’s Tai Po district has climbed to 44, with around 270 people still unaccounted for, authorities said on Thursday.
Latest News

Tripura aims to become national tourism hub; 4th 'Unity Promo Fest 2025' opens

Delhi air pollution worsenses, AQI deteriorates to 384; several NCR pockets in 'severe' category

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock

