UK, US launch strikes against Houthi rebels in Yemen
The United States and the UK launched several airstrikes on Houthi military sites around the Yemeni capital Sanaa before dawn Friday (December 12, 2024), Houthi-controlled Saba news agency and residents said.
"The American-Israeli-British aggression launches several raids on the capital Sanaa, and the governorates of Hodeidah, Saada, and Dhamar," the news agency reported.
The strikes "targeted Al-Dailami air base in Sanaa, areas in Zabid District of Hodeidah province, the vicinity of the airport of Hodeidah port city, Kahlan Camp in the east of northern Saada city, and the airport of Abs district in the northwestern government of Hajjah," said the report.
At least four powerful airstrikes hit the mountains around Sanaa, shaking the windows of the houses and cutting off lights in many areas, residents said, adding the Houthis have evacuated many camps adjoining the residents' neighbourhoods at the centre of Sanaa, Xinhua reported.
Loaded vehicles were seen departing the camps throughout the night after the United States and Britain announced an upcoming targeted airstrike against Houthi sites to deter Houthis from attacking shipping vessels.
The Houthi fighters were also seen deployed at checkpoints along the streets.
Residents in Hodeidah said they saw the Houthis evacuate their weapons and fighters from camps in and around the coastal city.
Meanwhile, U.S. media confirmed several airstrikes on Houthi sites across several cities in the north.
Hours earlier, Houthi leader Abdulmalik al-Houthi warned in a televised speech that "any American aggression will not go without response."
The allied airstrikes came hours after the Houthi fighters launched a ballistic missile at a cargo ship in the Gulf of Aden, according to a post by the U.S. Central Command on X on Thursday.
"This is the 27th Houthi attack on international shipping since Nov. 19," the U.S. Central Command added.
On Wednesday, the Houthis claimed responsibility for launching 18 bomb-laden drones and three missiles at U.S. Navy ships stationed in the Red Sea in retaliation for the killing of 10 Houthi fighters on three small boats last week.
The U.S. Navy said it intercepted the attack with no injuries or damage.
The Houthi attack on the cargo ship on Thursday (January 11, 2024) came hours after the UN Security Council adopted a new resolution condemning the Houthi attacks on the international shipping lines, calling on the group to immediately cease attacks on commercial ships in the international maritime lanes.
The Houthis control much of northern Yemen, including the capital Sanaa and the strategic Red Sea port city of Hodeidah.
The Houthis said they only attack those Israel-linked or Israel-bound ships to press Israel to stop its war on the Palestinian enclave of the Gaza Strip.
Yemen's Houthis threaten 'high price' for US, UK massive strikes
The United States and the United Kingdom will pay a "high price" for their airstrikes, Hussein al-Ezzi, the deputy foreign minister of the movement, said Friday.
"Our country has been subjected to a massive aggressive attack carried out by American and British ships, submarines and warplanes. Undoubtedly, America and Britain will have to prepare to pay a high price and bear all the terrible consequences of this blatant aggression," al-Ezzi said on X.
(With UNI Inputs)
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.

Gunfire near White House: Two National Guard soldiers shot as Afghan national suspect arrested
Two National Guard soldiers were critically injured on Wednesday after they were shot by a gunman, identified as an Afghan national, less than two blocks from the White House, authorities said.

Horror in Hong Kong: Death toll hits 44 as massive blaze continues, hundreds missing
The death toll from a massive fire that swept through residential apartments in Hong Kong’s Tai Po district has climbed to 44, with around 270 people still unaccounted for, authorities said on Thursday.
Latest News

Tripura aims to become national tourism hub; 4th 'Unity Promo Fest 2025' opens

Delhi air pollution worsenses, AQI deteriorates to 384; several NCR pockets in 'severe' category

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock

