UN humanitarian chief in Ukraine condemns 'brutal and relentless' pattern of port attacks
New York: A string of Russian attacks on port and grain facilities in Ukraine which began over a month ago, have intensified in recent days, drawing condemnation from the UN’s top humanitarian official there.
"There has been almost one attack every other day hitting vital port and grain facilities in Ukraine," said Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator Denise Brown, in a statement on Wednesday.
Assault on grain exports
A Russian drone attack early on Wednesday damaged infrastructure at Ukrainian grain-exporting facilities on the Danube River.
Ukrainian officials say buildings including grain warehouses, oil storage tanks and administrative buildings, were destroyed.
The UN, citing port authorities, noted the tragic event had left at least six people injured. No deaths were immediately reported.
‘Hugely alarming’
"It is hugely alarming to hear that the two Ukrainian ports in the Danube River were once again struck during overnight Russian attacks on the Odesa Region," Ms. Brown added.
It was the latest attack by Russia on Ukrainian port and grain facilities since Moscow quit the UN-brokered deal that had enabled Ukraine to safely export grain through the Black Sea.
"Today’s strike on Ukrainian ports was the 21st of such attacks since Russia’s decision to terminate the Black Sea Initiative less than two months ago”, said Ms. Brown.
“It is shocking but since 17 July there has been almost one attack every other day hitting vital port and grain facilities in Ukraine."
Withdrawal from grain deal
The grain initiative was struck in July 2022, between Russia, Ukraine, Türkiye and the UN. It enabled the export of more than 32 million tonnes of grain.
But, in mid-July, Russia withdrew from the Initiative, arguing that agricultural exporters were not benefiting as the deal and separate Memorandum of Understanding had laid out.
Since then, only a handful of vessels, none of them carrying grain, have been allowed to sail from Ukraine's Black Sea ports, according to news reports.
Ukraine is a major global supplier of grain such as sunflower oil, bailey, maize and wheat.
The war has caused global food prices to surge and is creating shortages food in Africa and the Middle East. Both import large amounts of food from Ukraine.
Pattern of attacks
"The consequences of this brutal and relentless pattern of Russian attacks are catastrophic for the people of Ukraine and the 345 million people facing hunger worldwide," Ms. Brown warned.
According to news reports, the Governor of the Odesa region that includes the Danube River ports, has said 105 port infrastructure facilities in Ukraine had been damaged and partially destroyed since July 18, the day after Russia quit the Black Sea Initiative.
"International humanitarian law strictly prohibits attacks on civilian infrastructure. This must stop,” the Humanitarian Coordinator said.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married his partner Jodie Haydon on Saturday, becoming the first sitting leader in the country to wed while in office.

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.
Latest News

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

