UN special rapporteur, Baloch human rights defenders discuss enforced disappearance
United Nations Special Rapporteur on Human Rights Defenders Mary Lawlor recently discussed the ongoing enforced disappearances in Balochistan region of Pakistan with the Balochistan Human Rights Defenders, media reports said.
The session focused on the severe challenges Baloch HRDs face in their advocacy for the rights of the Baloch people in Pakistan, including threats and attacks by the Pakistani government and its security apparatus, reported The Balochistan Post.
Participants from Balochistan included Dr. Sahiba Baloch and Sadia Baloch of the Baloch Yakjehti Committee (BYC), human rights lawyer Imaan Hazir Mazari, Abdullah Abbas from the Human Rights Council of Balochistan (HRCB), Gulzar Dost of Civil Society Kech, and Latif Johar, a human rights activist.
After the meeting, Special Rapporteur Lawlor reportedly expressed concern over the ongoing developments in the region.
"I heard further disturbing testimonies this morning from Baloch HRDs on the severe risks they face for advocating for the rights of #Baloch people in #Pakistan. I was struck by their courage in continuing to seek justice for their disappeared relatives amid such grave threats," she posted on X.
Baloch Yakjehti Committee (BYC) shared her post and wrote on the social media platform: "Human Rights Advocates from #Balochistan convened in a virtual session with Mary Lawlor, the UN Special Rapporteur on Human Rights Defenders. During the meeting, attendees addressed the obstacles, threats, and attacks they faced from government and security forces for their advocacy work. Mary Lawlor, the Special Rapporteur, emphasized the urgent necessity for increased international focus on the human rights situation in Balochistan. She acknowledged the leadership of Baloch women in resistance efforts, noting that it has garnered global attention. We express our heartfelt appreciation to Her Excellency, the Special Rapporteur, for her dedication to addressing Human Rights violations in Balochistan. We anticipate that the UN will persist in its endeavors to prevent the genocide of the Baloch people."
The Baloch Yakjeethi Committee recently declared January 25 as the Baloch Genocide Day since on this day more than 200 bodies of Baloch missing persons were found in the Tootak area of Khuzdar.
The committee posted on X: "The Baloch Yakjeethi Committee declares January 25 as Baloch Genocide Day."
"On this day, more than 200 bodies of Baloch missing persons were discovered in the Tootak area of Khuzdar. All the deceased individuals were those of missing persons who had been abducted by security forces and death squads at various times," the group said.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.

Gunfire near White House: Two National Guard soldiers shot as Afghan national suspect arrested
Two National Guard soldiers were critically injured on Wednesday after they were shot by a gunman, identified as an Afghan national, less than two blocks from the White House, authorities said.

Horror in Hong Kong: Death toll hits 44 as massive blaze continues, hundreds missing
The death toll from a massive fire that swept through residential apartments in Hong Kong’s Tai Po district has climbed to 44, with around 270 people still unaccounted for, authorities said on Thursday.
Latest News

Tripura aims to become national tourism hub; 4th 'Unity Promo Fest 2025' opens

Delhi air pollution worsenses, AQI deteriorates to 384; several NCR pockets in 'severe' category

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock

