US tracked employees of China's Huawei, ZTE at suspected spy bases in Cuba
Washington: US intelligence agencies tracked employees of the Chinese companies Huawei and ZTE at suspected Chinese spy facilities in Cuba, The Wall Street Journal reported on Wednesday, citing sources familiar with the matter.
During the presidency of Donald Trump, US officials received tracking data of Huawei and ZTE workers entering and leaving sites suspected of conducting Chinese eavesdropping operations from the island, according to the report.
The sources said the intelligence reports strengthened suspicions within the Trump administration that the tech giants can be instrumental in expanding China's ability to spy on the United States from Cuba. However, it is unknown whether such practice is continued under incumbent US President Joe Biden.
Huawei and ZTE do not necessarily produce devices that can be used for eavesdropping or gathering intelligence, but they both specialize in technologies that can facilitate data transmission to China, according to the sources.
Huawei rejected such accusations in a statement, while ZTE and the US Office of the Director of National Intelligence did not respond to a WSJ’s request for comment, the news outlet noted.
Earlier in June, WSJ reported, citing US officials familiar with classified information, that China had reached a deal with Cuba to establish its spy base in the island nation as a response to US military activities near the Chinese borders, including in Taiwan.
Commenting on the article, US National Security Council spokesman John Kirby said the report "is not accurate." Cuba’s Embassy in Washington said the article was "totally mendacious and unfounded information," while the Chinese diplomatic mission had no comment.
(With UNI inputs)
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married his partner Jodie Haydon on Saturday, becoming the first sitting leader in the country to wed while in office.

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.
Latest News

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

