Vladimir Putin to participate in BRICS Summit to discuss Israel-Palestine conflict
Moscow: Russian President Vladimir Putin will participate virtually in the BRICS summit on Tuesday, which will focus on the Israel-Palestinian conflict, the Kremlin said on Monday.
"On November 21, Russian President Vladimir Putin will take part in an extraordinary BRICS summit (online) to discuss the Palestinian-Israeli conflict," the Kremlin said in a statement.
Earlier in the day, the South African government said that President Cyril Ramaphosa, the bloc's 2023 chair, would convene a BRICS Extraordinary Joint Meeting on the Middle East Situation in the Gaza Strip on Tuesday.
The leaders of the bloc's countries, new member countries, and UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres will participate in the meeting, the government said, adding that participants were expected to adopt a joint statement on the situation in the Gaza Strip at the end of the meeting.
On October 7, Palestinian movement Hamas launched a surprise large-scale rocket attack against Israel from the Gaza Strip and breached the border, killing and abducting people in neighbouring Israeli communities.
Israel launched retaliatory strikes and ordered a complete blockade of the Gaza Strip, cutting off supplies of water, food, and fuel.
On October 27, Israel launched a large-scale ground incursion inside the Gaza Strip with the declared goal of eliminating Hamas fighters and rescuing the hostages.
BRICS, established in 2009, is a group uniting the world's largest developing economies, which currently includes Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa.
In August, the 15th top-level BRICS summit in Johannesburg extended invitations to Argentina, Egypt, Ethiopia, Iran, the United Arab Emirates, and Saudi Arabia to join the bloc. Their full membership is scheduled to take effect on January 1, 2024.
(With UNI/Sputnik inputs)
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.

Gunfire near White House: Two National Guard soldiers shot as Afghan national suspect arrested
Two National Guard soldiers were critically injured on Wednesday after they were shot by a gunman, identified as an Afghan national, less than two blocks from the White House, authorities said.
Latest News

Delhi Police serves notice to private hospitals for doctors who studied in Pakistan, Bangladesh, UAE, China

'My name is Sophie': Meet saree-clad AI teacher developed by 17-year-old UP student

WHO sounds alarm: Infertility now strikes 1 in 6 people worldwide!

Cooperative Minister inaugurates Longtharai’s Jolaibari retailers meet

