Italy: Two die near Lampedusa after migrant boats capsize
Rome:At least two people died and more than 30 went missing near the Italian island of Lampedusa after two ships carrying asylum seekers capsized in rough seas, a police official said Sunday.
At least 57 people were saved after the ships went down amid high waves around 43 km southwest of Lampedusa between late Saturday and early Sunday local time.
According to local media, the ships departed from Tunisia. The bodies of an 18-month-old child and a woman were recovered.
"These are tragic events that should have never happened," said Emanuele Ricifari, the official in charge of public safety in Agrigento, Sicily. "The death toll will rise ... whoever forced these people to leave shore under these conditions is a lunatic."
Ricifari told Xinhua that the rough seas damaging the two vessels were also challenging the authorities' search efforts. As the difficult weather is expected to continue over the next several days, it was unlikely to find more survivors, he said.
Separate from the two shipwrecks, 34 migrants who had been stranded for 36 hours on a steep cliffside in Lampedusa were rescued on Sunday. A ship carrying those migrants crashed into rocks just off the shore between Friday night and Saturday morning, so the migrants were forced onto the cliffs to avoid drowning.
After Air Force and firefighter brigades airlifted them to safety via helicopter on Sunday, three of them were taken to a hospital for treatment. Local media reported that none of them were seriously injured.
Media reports said that as of Sunday, more than 2,400 people were crammed into a migrant shelter in Lampedusa that is designed to house only 400. Bad weather has made many migrants' transfers to the Italian mainland impossible.
According to Italy's Ministry of Interior, nearly 92,000 refugees from Africa, the Middle East, and beyond had landed on Italian shores so far this year, more than doubling the nearly 43,000 refugees landing in the country during the same period last year and three times the figure of 2021.
Historically, July and August are the most common months for migrant arrivals via the central Mediterranean route.
(With UNI inputs)
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married his partner Jodie Haydon on Saturday, becoming the first sitting leader in the country to wed while in office.

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.
Latest News

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

