New Zealand: Two die in shooting incident ahead of Women's World Cup opening ceremony in Auckland
Auckland: New Zealand witnessed the deaths of two people after a shooting incident in Auckland occurred hours before the start of the Fifa Women's World Cup in the city.
Six other people, including police officers, were injured and the gunman is also dead after the incident at 07:22 (19:22 GMT) on a construction site in the central business district, reports BBC.
New Zealand PM Chris Hipkins said the attack was not seen as an act of terrorism.
The tournament would go ahead as planned, he confirmed as quoted by BBC.
While no political or ideological motive for the attack had been identified, police had neutralised the threat and the public could be assured that there was no ongoing risk, the prime minister said.
I can’t remember anything like this ever happening in our beautiful city. This morning’s events have been tragic and distressing for all Aucklanders, as this is not something that we are used to. 1/3
— Mayor Wayne Brown (@MayorWayneBrown) July 20, 2023
Read full media release here: https://t.co/MYZowPl4Mh
Auckland Mayor Wayne Brown said the incident was not related to the World Cup.
He said in a statement: “I can’t remember anything like this ever happening in our beautiful city. This morning’s events have been tragic and distressing for all Aucklanders, as this is not something that we are used to."
"What we know is that this is an isolated incident. This appears to be the act of one individual, this was not a threat to national security, nor was it in any way related to the FIFA Women’s World Cup Event," he said.
He condoled the loss of lives in the incident.
Meanwhile, the shooter was identified as 24-year-old Matu Tangi Matua Reid.
Speaking of the shooter, Police Commissioner Andrew Coster said: " We understand that he has worked at the construction site and we believe the reason for his presence at the site this morning was connected with that work."
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married his partner Jodie Haydon on Saturday, becoming the first sitting leader in the country to wed while in office.

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.
Latest News

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

